View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #61
wanna986

gotta 986 and a long first post!

Hello all,

I should change my user name as "wanna" is in the past. I bought a 2002 S.

I've read this whole thread and my neck hurts from nodding, admittedly I'm also fighting "nodding off" owing to 2:00 a.m. having passed!

Before my S, I test drove a 2002 base model. The salesman had me go to an onramp and was actually encouraging me to go fast- "when you think you're going fast, give it some more- don't worry" I was impressed more by the salesman's confidence in the car than with my own driving ability, so I was rather reserved about pushing the car. The feeling was clearly different, though, as it felt like the car was actually being pivoted rather than being steered through the curve of the ramp.

I found myself saying "I get it" when, without being beckoned by my passenger this time, I changed lanes into the passing lane and gave it more gas. The howl as I entered variocamland! After the test drive, reflecting on what had just happened, I told myself that I shouldn't be impressed merely by an exotic exhaust note. My eyes verified the action of my right foot , though, as the acceleration spurt netted a quick gain in speed from 55 to 80 mph. It wasn't only my imagination, and this was "only" the 2.7.

Clearly a seed was planted. Although I found nothing wrong with the 2.7, (I even thought I'd be o.k. with the 2.5 if the price was right), I can't say I regret being influenced by my son who reminded me I've always bought the biggest engine available. The 3.2 is right for me.

My 60 mile trip home on the highway was an eye-opener. I realize why so many yearn for no speed limit. My previous domestic rides: Corvette, Mustang, 70s muscle, are famous for their torque, clearly, and owing to cam changes, superchargers, etcetera, weren't shy of the upper limits of the speedometer- but this car is just different. Entirely smooth and flexible with the engine being stiff competition with the Bose system for best tunes. Keeping it at a respectable75-80 mph was really a chore (and such a pity). The trip computer was even reporting mileage in the high 20s! In the city, well, why so many gears? Once I'm out of first (giving the engine a little breathing room, of course), it's into 6th if I want to keep a low profile.

This is long, but I can't imagine ending without commenting on the chassis. My corvette, with the targa top removed, feels as though it's going to fall apart. Quite normal, I'm told by other owners. The Boxster, of course, is amazing. I forget there "should" be a difference top up and down. Wow.

I have to go to bed now, although maybe just one quick look in the garage for an inspiration for "sweet dreams". Good night.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote