View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Bob O

A Sad day for my Boxster

A week or so ago, the DAY before my wife and I left for vacation, (hence the delay in posting this) for a LONNGGG overdue rest for her, and me the Boxster was crunched. My wife was working late, as usual, getting ready to leave, son was with his girlfriend, and I was home alone and hungry. I went out to get something to eat at a new Cajun place I'd heard about. I was in the parking lot of the place, a strip mall, with the Boxster. There was an aisle going east/west, and an intersecting one going north/south. I stopped at the intersection, seeing an SUV approaching from the north. She turned the corner,, and kept turning,, and kept turning...right into the front of the Boxster. THere was nothing i could do....there was a car behind me and parked cars on the right. Fortunately, a witness was there and stared in disbelief as she just kept coming.

End result was.. bumper destroyed, front left fender destroyed, hood destroyed, radiators destroyed, front left suspension, tire, wheel, and I don't know what else, destroyed. A cop arrived about 30 seconds after the accident (he must have been on the street next to the strip mall and seen me jumping up and down screaming at this stupid lady). Apparently, in Missouri, if an accident occurs on private property, the police won't write tickets. However, he DID write a report stating that if this had occured on public property, she would have gotten at least three tickets: Crossing the center line, careless driving and something else i'm not remembering at the moment.

Her insurance company almost immediately accepted total responsibility for the claim, and it will be fixed. But dammmmmmm it just won't be the same. I damm near cried when it happened. This car was perfect and was my baby. You all can appreciate that. I know I know.. its just a car. I keep telling all my friends that when they get on me for driving it in the winter. It IS just a car in the final analysis, but still..........................

I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of damage incurred by the boxster in such an accident. I know the front is designed to crumple to absorb impact. But this was less than five mph. And it destroyed the whole front end. Around 10-12 K damage from a 5 mph crash. Not counting diminished value, which I and the insurance company have not discussed yet. Holy S*(***. The other thing is, I'm amazed at the LACK of damage to the SUV. Literally there was one small scratch on her bumper.. that's all. She drove home.. I'll be at least 4 - 5 weeks in the repair shop, IF they can get parts.

OK.. I feel a little better.. not much but a little.

Thanks for reading

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote