View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

ROW M030 First Impressions

I just got my 2000 S back from having the ROW M030 sport suspension installed (just a day before the first big snow of the season!). I only got a chance to drive it home, about 16 miles and it isn't aligned yet, but I thought I'd give some first impressions.

First off, there was nothing wrong or worn about the stock suspension. The car has 38,000 miles. There wasn't any discerable body roll from the driver's seat and grip was more than impressive.

One of my other cars is a very tightly sprung Rx-7 and it's set my expectations for sports car feedback pretty high. I figured that if the factory offers a more tightly sprung setup that could eccentuate the feel and responsiveness of an already great car, I should get it.

My first impression is that it does all that I expected. The first thing that you notice walking up to the car is that it's obviously lower than it used to be. It's about 1" in front and 1/2" in the rear. There's still some gap in the front wheel well, but it's much less (an inch!). Sitting in the car, it actually feels lower. It might be subconsous, but the car actually feels lower to the ground from the driver's seat.

I haven't had the opportunity to do any spirited driving (that'll have to wait until February), but responsiveness does seem to have improved. Steering inputs are translated into motion just a little bit quicker. Quick lane changes at 45-50 are totally drama-free. The car just moves over. It sure doesn't feel like there's any body roll going on. It's definitely brought a smile to my face

I don't feel that there's much of a difference in ride, although I like a stiff ride, so I wouldn't car much if it was stiffer. Keep in mind, my car is an S, which is a bit stiffer than the non-S up to 2002 so it was pretty stiff to begin with.

I'll post more in the spring when I get to have the car aligned and take it for some mountain drives. For now, I'm very happy with the change. In my mind, it's now more of the car that it should be. And it's even cooler looking just sitting in my garage.

By the way, I'm planning to sell my stock suspension.

FS: Colorado: Stock Boxster S suspension
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote