View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #30
SigmaPi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
FWIW, the time diff was 1.5 seconds, not 2. And it's a huge assumption backed up by no facts that "the time made up in the straights would be minor" if the Shelby weren't sick. We just don't know.

Finally, my whole point was that this thread smacks of snobbery against anything not Porsche. The Shelby was being dismissed because it is a Ford, and that's a mistake. Look at what won the shootout. A Ford GT.
Since I started the thread primarily about the commercial and the use of the Carrera in it, I feel obligated to respond. Call it what you wish however, loyalty to a brand and espousing its superiority did not start with Porsche owners. If you take a look back in history, GM and Ford represent one of the longest standing rivalries in the history of automakers. Yet no one seems compelled to call a GM owner "elitest snob" if they have a picture of Calvin pissing on a Ford decal on thier back window, why is that? Just because we may be proud of our vehicles and thier capabilities does not make us snobs.

Jack, I would bet my paycheck, small as it may be, that the GT 500 would still lose out against any of these cars besides the Dodge. Simply saying since it has 500hp does not make it any faster through the track. If this were the case, then the first place winner at 190hp would not have been a factor. Keep in mind the Lotus had the lowest hp in the group and the closest delta in hp was the Cayman S which it beat, and the Cayman had 105 more horses. So the moral of the story is horsepower does not a fast car make.

Last edited by SigmaPi; 11-27-2006 at 04:11 PM.
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote