View Single Post
Old 09-14-2026, 11:43 AM   #500
Ben006
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
Ben, curious about 987 airboxes. I know the difficulty installing them even engine-out, but there are no electrical connections so what do mean when you say they are hard to integrate electronically?
As redpepperracing said, you have to correct the AFR.
The 987 airbox uses a 3.5“ MAF housing.
The 986 a 3“.
The MAF sensor is the same, but in the bigger housing it measures considerably less air mass (as the velocity drops with the increased diameter).

When driving around, it’s usually OK as the the DME is running in closed loop, constantly adjusting the fuel trims to keep the afr in the right place.
Though, when going WOT, the DME is running in open loop, and relying on it’s long term fuel trim and adaptations to adjust fuel.
There is a chance of running quite lean.

The bigger throttle body has kind of a similar effect but the MAF is still reading correctly, so the adaptations and fuel trims are accurate
I always recommend driving around for a week after installing. You’ll know when the adaptations are done as you’ll take your car one day and feel the bump in power.
The first few days the car will actually loose power as the DME detects a change in the throttle position / MAF relation and pulls timing to avoid failure.



For the throttle pedal, as much as I would love to bring it to the market quickly… the last prototype I test myself wasn’t up to my liking (even though my guinea-pig loves it), and I made several changes to improve the movement of the pedal.
Rennline product is available and tested. I can’t compete for now :/ hopefully mid 2027

https://imgur.com/gallery/FVnLhJY#K3VckPV
https://imgur.com/gallery/FVnLhJY#qsWt8UB


It does look awesome in my opinion, and it articulates on a carbon fiber spring !
But I haven’t found the perfect position yet.
I do have a second version being tested in a 986 that races in the UK (samrs1400 on instagram if you guys want to check his page).
I have to fetch his feedback on it ! He wins races so it must be good 😂
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote