|
Doesn't appear very easy to get the air out of the cooling system. Yesterday I idled it up to temperature, but as soon as it hit about 80degC the coolant level light turned on and the temperature increased more rapidly. I turned it off and there was some smoke coming from the vent cap (likely due to the pressure increase with so much air in the system). I was able to get another 4 liters into the system. Seems like I hit the point of the thermostat opening, rapid temperature increase (due to low coolant) also turned the fans on.
Today I repeated this. Unlike yesterday there was now warm air coming from the vents (I put temp to max to make sure there was flow in this branch and that I could feel it), one step forward. It also had a more steady climb in temperature and didn't go to overheat mode. I did switch it off once the coolant level light turned on again, before I got the fans kicking in. After cool down, another 1.5 liter in.
So now I have at least filled 16.5 liters. Judging by the Bentley manual I am expecting a capacity of 20 liters (somewhere between base and S model manual. I do have the bigger pipes, but not the third radiator). Probably there was at least some coolant left is parts of the system, so I should be coming close to the correct level now.
Next step, get the bumper mounted back on so I can take it for a drive. That heats the engine up more quickly and I can check the brakes properly... Fingers crossed.
|