View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
PoPo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
What you're looking for is something like this:
http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=39

However, I advise agaist using those aftermarket LED bulb-replacements (especially if you plan on replacing your brake lights). They do NOT give off the amount of light as your original bulbs. The optics within your tail light's housing is optimized for regular bulbs that give off light in 360 degrees. Even those omni-directional LEDs don't cut the mustard. Where that becomes an issue is in an emergency and you NEED to be seen (via your hazard lights).

When LEDs come from the automotive manufacturer, they're grand. Otherwise you I suggest you play it safe. Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Thank you, I think that is exactly what I need.

I have these tail lights, but they came with filament turn signals. So I replaced the turn signals with LEDs so it was all LED. If you look closely at this picture, you will see the silver concave mirror directly in front of the light. This picture is with the filament bulb. With the LED bulb, the mirror redistributes the light at all angles and works just as, or better than the filament bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell
another issue...I don't think the LED bulbs will fit (slide into) the tail lite...
Yes the tail light turn signal is a problem. There is a 15 degree offset in the prongs. However, just grind one of the prongs down and viola, it fits perfect and still holds down with the one prong. I just used a LED 1157 instead of whatever was required.
PoPo is offline   Reply With Quote