Thread: Wanna Buy But
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
z12358

69912:
"Just looking at it makes me- well you know."

I know, and you'll know even more after you drive it.
As for the "issues", it's your mental disposition that matters most in giving weight to the "evidence". I'm still relatively young but the older I get, the more relaxed I become about things. So relax, and watch out for that scared little guy in you that is always focusing on the negative and not letting you go to the party because, well it's raining outside and many people have had accidents when it rains.

If we leave the subjective world and try to discern some objective measure of the "issues" involved, there was a recent thread on this. I'll try to pull it out later. My argument (and I have yet to see it questioned) went like this:
If the RMS, IMS, and all other "issues" you read about are really THAT frequent and severe, then Porsche would go bankrupt by honoring warranty claims over the first 4 years of every car it sells. Instead it boasts the highest profit margins (more than double the Toyota's 7.5%). For Boxsters just out of warranty, there are companies offering comprehesive 4yr extended warranties for about $2500, which means the AVERAGE cost of repairs over that period must be much less than that.

Finally, don't stretch to buy as much car as you possibly can. Leave a healthy cushion to accomodate the unknown variance around the averages discussed above, and you will be much less afraid and will enjoy the car much more -- whichever car it ends up being. You will enjoy a Honda S2000 more than a Box if it leaves you with $20k stashed somewhere for "God knows what". And you will enjoy the Box less if you stretch and have no cushion. Having the cushion AND the Box is the best, of course. So if you DO happen to be the unlucky chap with a need for a new (or rebuilt) engine, so be it. Accept your luck, pay up and move on. So you ended up paying $40k for what looked more like a $30k car. Big deal! The point of the Boxster is to have fun. If fear always gets in the way, the point is lost.

Z.