Thread: Wanna Buy But
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
MNBoxster

Hi,

I think you do the Lister a disservice with all your PollyAnna responses. Several of you have had to do repairs to your cars and some weren't cheap.

Fact is, these cars are nimble and well appointed, but they're underpowered, even the 'S' model.

They have a very high potential to break, and those things are usually not the types of things which break in other cars.

When things break, if you cannot do the work yourself, they will be very expensive, some will be very much so especially when compared to the value of the car - $25k Car, $12k new engine, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a $25k car into a $40k car, and it can happen quite easily.

The main weak spots, RMS and Intermediate Shaft cannot be tested with a PPI, either could fail the next day. It is difficult to impossible (especially if the car has had several prior owners) to get all the Dealer or Warranty histories - Dealers are reluctant to give out such information, especially if it contains issues.

The Car eats tires, no matter how you drive, it's the suspension setup. Stupid things like bad Ignition switches, E-Brake switches, Oil separators, Fuel Caps, Horn Rim Bushings (4-spoke wheel) can ruin your day.

It's an OK top-down cruiser, but disappoints if you try to make it anything more. A lot of people praising it's merits don't really have any other experience with other true sports cars (I'm sure they'll chime in here after reading this). But, for you, coming off a 912, you're gonna find that the 912 beats it in almost every catetgory except Fit, Stability, maybe speed (but not by much). The Boxster will be much less visceral. It will have slightly more room, or at least feel like it with an open top.

Drive the car and decide. I'm not going to comment one way or the other, but I don't want to Bias you without all the facts. Lots of cars experience few or no problems, but lots of cars (especially when compared to other makes/models) do and these will ruin your experience. If you buy and decide later it waasn't the best move, sell it and go another way...

Happpy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote