View Single Post
Old 09-30-2024, 10:52 AM   #69
JFP in PA

I have a problem, particularly with single row engines, of replacing a bearing with a pretty well defined failure rate with brand new copy same thing; statisitically, you are still in the same probablity of failure, so I don't see what you accomplished.

Anytime we replace a know failure point component in these cars, we always try to replace it with something that is better. In the case of the IMS bearings, the once and done forever Solution is the optimal item. If budget constaints preclude the Solution, I would go with one of the LN hybrid bearings long before I would put another factory bearing in the engine. More than once, I have told a prospective customer to take their car somewhere else when they insisted on using the Pelcian kit, roller bearings, or some internet identified factory replacements; we simply have absolutely no confidence in any ot these units, and I will never put my shop's name on a questionable repair.

I recently got into a dialog about trying to find cheap aftermarket main cats for one of these cars, which is pretty much a total crapshoot. I told the poster we only use the factory replacement cats because they are legal in all 50 states, and will always pass both sniffer emissions testing and visual inspections. When the poster complained that the factory cats cost $2K each, I pointed out that one of my customers wacked one of his cats on his Italian super car going over a speed bump, requiring a factory replacement that set him back $14,000, and that if he wanted to drive a cheap to repair car, sell the Porsche and buy something else, these cars are not cheap to buy, much less repair properly.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-30-2024 at 11:02 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote