View Single Post
Old 09-16-2024, 10:36 AM   #1
los36

First Boxster, good and bad ... your thoughts?

Hello, new 986 owner here. It's a 2001 S, manual with 96k miles. The body is in decent shape with some small dings but paint is good. Mechanically, it seems to be in relatively good shape. Convertible top works smoothly and all electrical works. The Carfax is clean with a record of major service done at 60k miles and water pump replaced at 65k. Regular oil changes are shown. ** I don't know about the IMS.
After driving it about 400 miles, I wanted to get a level-set on the basic maintenance. I replace the 7 year old tires with General G-Max and got an alignment. I also did an oil change (Liqui Moly 5w40), oil/air/cabin filters, plugs and coils.
The oil was previously changed at a "15-minute" place right before I bought it. It came out clean with no metal or plastic. The spark plugs were very loose. 4 of the 6 broke free with about 5-10nm of force. The other 2 were just loose and were wet above the threads. The coils looked OK, but I replaced them anyway. After the plugs and coils, it idles and runs so much smoother. I didn't notice the rough idle before as I just assumed it was small-car vibes. Much better now.
I plan to clean the radiators, change the transmission fluid, flush the brake fluid and coolant, and replace the serpentine belt over the next couple of months.

Now the bad (other than unknown IMS status).
1. While under the car, I noticed the following: the shroud under the engine is missing. It looks like the right rear drove over a curb at some point. The large aluminum brace on that side has some scrapes and a very slight bow to it. The car is in alignment, however. Also, there does appear to be an oil leak on the right (passenger) side of the engine. No drops on the floor, just wet.
2. As for driving, I do get some vibration between 50 and 60. It doesn't seem to change if I turn left or right, so I am thinking it is not wheel bearings. Possibly bent wheel? Also, the clutch feels good but gear shifts are notchy and sometimes take some force, especially 2nd. I will most likely end up taking it to an indy shop for a shake down.
3. There is heater foam in the vents, the drink holder won't stay closed and driver side door window rattles in the door frame when it is lowered.

All-in-all I am happy with my impulse buy, knowing that some pop-up costs could park if for a few months at a time. When I feel I have a handle on the mechanical condition, I plan to take it to a track-driving instruction session. Can't wait!

As an aside, working on the car was somewhat easy but would be so much easier with an overhead lift. I'm not as flexible as I used to be!

Last edited by los36; 09-16-2024 at 11:22 AM.
los36 is offline   Reply With Quote