View Single Post
Old 09-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #74
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The Xbox rolled over last weekend. I posted in the 'What did you do to your Boxster today' thread.
It happened at a fairly slow speed and the damage isn't serious (considering that much of it was made from damaged spare parts)

I adjusted the doors enough to get the windows working again, put some new mirrors on it, and replaced the top with one from my '04 parts car. Once I replace the windshield (cracked horizontally under the HooptieX decal) it will be good as new.

At a 'Gambler 500 Rally' in Missouri, I was letting people drive it on a small dirt track. One woman wanted to give it a try, but was uncomfortable doing it alone, so I rode along with her. Very slow laps at first. As she got a better feel for it, I encouraged her to go faster. She did. ...and lost control. Hitting the tire wall took most of the force, but terrain past the tire wall was sloped enough to roll the car. We settled driver's side down with nobody hurt.
"Don't worry about the car, are you okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine, sorry about that."
"I need you to turn the ignition off... Left hand. Good. Now we need this rolled over so we can get out. Just hold the steering wheel."
The bystanders had gathered around the car quickly and rolled us back onto the wheels. Like a pro pit crew they grabbed tools and quickly bent the fenders and top enough that it could be driven again. I took it around the track myself a few times just to loosen up and make sure the car was still in decent shape. No drivetrain problems after the left exhaust stopped smoking from the time on it's side.
Next adventure, Rallycross with the Frog on Sept 29th.