View Single Post
Old 09-04-2024, 11:36 AM   #6
The Radium King

well, i think the front swaybar is a bit easier to find on the used market as was also used in the 996/gt3 so easier to stay within your budget. also, front swaybar will stop inside wheel lift on hard cornering with stock (soft) suspension. and if adjustable can be used to balance the car, although most understeer could be taken out with tire choice.

otherwise, what a swaybar does is index the wheel carriers to the body of the car. so, on a hard corner the outside suspension compresses as the body rolls outward. this makes the outside wheel carrier move up relative to the body. the swaybar then makes the inside wheel carrier move up as well which reduces body roll.

if you look at it in reverse, when the inside wheel carrier extends on a turn the swaybar tries to make the outside wheel carrier extend as well, which increases the downward force exerted on the outside tire. on a poorly set-up car this can overpower the tire and cause you to loose traction - understeer.

so, the whole "stiffer front swaybar increases understeer" adage really depends on how stiff the suspension is, what alignment you are running, what tires you are running, what tire pressure you are running, etc. similarly, the "stiffer rear swaybar reduces understeer" adage is just the same; the stiff rear swaybar can cause the outside rear tire to loose traction faster so that you oversteer before you understeer; i.e., it doesn't reduce understeer but rather increases oversteer such that a car which is otherwise prone to understeer now feels balanced.

my thoughts anyways.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote