Thread: Shopping
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2024, 10:40 AM   #8
serialize

Guys, just want to say hi. I'm new to the forum and shopping for a 986 or 087.
I didn't want to start a new thread and was just thinking to leverage off from this one.
I've read allot, watched many videos, and researched this topic.
But there is nothing better then just having a good old discussion so thought I'd post here.

So, I've got the Boxster bug. Of course have always loved Porsche and specifically this era Boxster since it was the most common Porsche to see throughout my teens and 20's. But with what they cost back then I never put much thought into it. Now seeing that these older beauties are more affordable, I've really caught this bug and I'm actively viewing some that are for sale with the potential of buying one.

I'm not young and impulsive anymore, in my mid-40's. I sold all my toys a decade ago when had my first child an outside of my tin boat, this will be y first toy in a little while.
I really want to get a 986 S, but I'm fine with a 986 non-S as well (I wouldn't call them "base" like some do because I feel like there is nothing base about these gorgeous cars).

I've made a list of some of the many common things to look out for:
- IMS bearing
- Main seal leaks
- Clutch replacement around 100-120,000 km
- Water pump roughly every 50-60,000 km
- possible O2 sensor issues around 75-100,000+ km's

Other then all of this, other then the fact that these are superb cars to drive, look amazing, with the age are actually not too bad on insurance, they are a more rare-mid engine design, and just iconic for Porsche overall, is there any other reason to shy away from this purchase?

I think of it as a partial investment, because if taken care of it should always be worth something, but I also fully understand that these are machines and anything can happen and could fail.

The money I'm spending on this, in the back of my head I thinking of as a loss as in if I but a used one that end up having major major issues then the cost is likely not recoverable, but at the same time I am trying to find the best possible platform for something reliable that I can take the wife out on the country road and the occasional rip with the kids without worrying that its will constantly break down.

The prices are a really wide spectrum, and what I'm seeing here in Canada can range from $14,000-$25,000 for 1998-2003 models with varying mileage (although I'm limited my search to under 175,000km's and of course depending on whether s or non-s.

So at this point, I've tried everything to sell myself or talk myself out of this, but I've realized that is not happening and its just a matter of time until a view/drive a nice clean one from an owner that can have a good confident conversation on the vehicles history, some maintenance an what not and then I hope to own my first Porsche (and I can't believe I'm saying that lol).

Just looking for thoughts from all of the great people here on the forum, any words of wisdom, warmings, blessing, etc.....

Anyway nice to meet all of your and cheers from Canada.
serialize is offline   Reply With Quote