Thread: 02 Sensor Codes
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2024, 04:19 AM   #1
Chris D

02 Sensor Codes

2000 986 50K with zero maintenance records.
Vehicle was recently purchased by an older gent in our neighborhood.
He's been by our home a few times and we've discussed the idea of his purchasing a Boxster (That's a long story)
With little to know knowledge , he found this 2000 model , bought it and drove it some 150 miles home.
The next day he stopped by to give me his happy news, he invited me down to look at his purchase.
On first inspection it looks to be in Good condition i.e. no dents or scratches and interior is very nice.
Lapis Blue with Tan interior.
I immediately noticed the car was without a Pennsylvania State Inspection Sticker and after starting it a visible Check Engine light.
Thinking ahead i had brought along the trusty Durametric.
The system shows a "FAIL" for Cat efficiency and Code P0150 fault code 18 / 02 sensor ahead of cat cylinder (4-6) , there were 4 other cat related codes however somehow i cleared them.
I took the car for a run and the code reappeared .
All 4 02 sensors broke loose without trouble.
My question is, should I replace them ? I mean if it turns out to be a Cat issue I'd replace the sensor when i replaced the Cat anyhow correct.
As a matter of note , I have talked him into performing a Service / Air and Oil Filter Change, Brake system inspection , etc.

If anyone can provide some advice I'd appreciate it.

The Old Man
Chris D is offline   Reply With Quote