View Single Post
Old 07-08-2024, 06:50 PM   #78
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
FUN FACT: The passenger seat's sides and back are, like all stock 986 seats, vinyl. However, the sides and back of the new drivers seat are leather. It's my understanding it came out of a 996, so I guess they went more upscale on the 911 model to justify the elevated price tag.
The seats were probably from a car with the full leather interior. I believe that both the 986 and 996 could be ordered with full leather or partial leather interiors. As you point out, the 911 (or Carrera) is the more upscale model and I expect a greater percentage of 996 buyers checked the block for full leather. The full leather adds a dimension to the car that I would like to experience. However, I've heard complaints that the leather on the dash is sensitive to sun exposure and will dry out and shrink. Ironically, the less expensive vinyl is more durable.

My current seats are from a 996 Turbo. I think they are partial leather. Interestingly, the seats don't have map pockets on the back like the original seats in my Boxster.

I'm pleased that you found the Indigo Girls relevant.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote