View Single Post
Old 07-07-2024, 04:40 PM   #64
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had a good night at rallycross. The car held together well except for the engine cutting out a couple times near the end of the evening. It may have been from too much dust in the air filter or the fact that this car is running a DME from an '03 996.

I placed second in the 'Modified RWD' Class. Because parts have been removed and some non-standard parts added (such as the racing chicken), the car is considered modified. The thing is, with this car none of the modifications improve the performance. It's just a matter of replacing parts that were sold with whatever I had handy to get the car running again.

It's been a fun car to play with, but I think I'm done with driving it now. The gearing is really terrible for rallycross. I don't know if all of the '03 - '04 5-speeds are like this, but the gearing is very tall. I could do much of the course in first gear. I actually found myself throwing it down to first to rotate the car for an off-camber 90 degree turn at the end of a straight and it worked well.

I'll have some spare time in the next couple weeks to work on cars. I plan to pull the rear suspension and axles off this car to put on the Frog. From there I may keep stripping it and scrap it or I may haul it to another lot and store for a while.