View Single Post
Old 05-11-2024, 05:21 AM   #10
KevinH1990

Over the past 20 years, I've had upholstery work done on several occasions. I've noticed a steady increase in cost and a decline in the number of upholstery shops in my area. I think the cost increase is linked to both overall inflation and the fact that people are keeping their cars longer.

I recently had a "sticker shock" experience similar to Lone Wolf's. The headliner in my Mercedes started to sag and the two shops I visited quoted around $1600 to replace it. This was in the middle of the pandemic, and the shops were backed up with work. I decided to DIY the project. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/787955-w203-headliner-removal.html

I concluded that upholstery work is something that a person with average DIY skills can do. However, I don't think my first attempt provided the level of craftsmanship that I would expect from a professional. I also had time available due to the pandemic. If I was taking time from other activities, it may have made more sense to let the shop complete the work.

I think Gilles makes some good points especially regarding the possibility that some foam repair may be needed on the seats. I don't think $500 is an unreasonable price for top-quality work. But I don't want to discourage Lone Wolf. If she takes her time, she should be able to achieve good results and she will learn a new skill. Good luck to her.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 05-15-2024 at 06:30 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote