View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 02:53 PM   #5
jluetjen
Registered Member

I installed this slave cylinder on my car, and the piston blew-out while bleeding the system. I had bled the system a few times with the pedal fully depressed (including bleeding the master cylinder separately), but still the clutch wouldn't work. The best that I could get is that the pedal would go 4/5 of the way to the floor, but never disengage the clutch. Finally I noticed fluid leaking from the slave cylinder, and when I removed it, the piston had blown out. I've attached a picture of the slave cylinder that I removed from the car, and the piece that I bought (which I'm pointing to). They look identical to me. The part that I took off of the car was labeled Sachs, and had a VW part number 8E0-721-257. I don't see any identification on the 8E0-721-257-M-M38 that I received from our host, but the PN seems to be the same.
Can I just put the piston back iin the cylinder and try again, or is the product ruined now that the piston has been pushed out?

PS: I also used my borescope to check in the hole and the clutch fork is there and doesn't seem to be flopping around.

If the piston has pushed out of the slave cylinder, can I just put it back in? Or is the slave cylinder trash at that point?

Last edited by jluetjen; 04-23-2024 at 01:03 PM.
jluetjen is offline   Reply With Quote