View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Ronzi

In theory they are supposed to do more than just change the oil. I believe the maintenance manual has a whole list of things that are supposedly checked in conjunction with an oil change. That is a part of what you are paying for with a $200 oil change.
I believe that a documented maintenance history is of value when it comes time to sell your car, especially if it is a private party sale. Are you going to realize any additional value if you trade your Boxster in on say a new Honda minivan? Maybe not, but you won't be realizing top dollar in that circumstance anyway.
The 911 I sold to buy the Boxster had a documented maintenance history, but most of the maintenance was done by independant Porsche shops, not by Porsche dealer(s).
So far I have seen virtually no independant shops that service Boxsters, probably because warranties were in place, so there hasn't thusfar been a big demand for non-dealer Boxster service. I expect that to change over the next few years, which will probably mean a somewhat lower price for an oil change at an independant shop.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/Black
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote