View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"I bet the average 997 buyer is a first time porsche owner who will never take part in any HP driving instruction during the length of ownership."

I was just about to make the same point. Most 997 buyers are considering the 997 to be a great "flash for the buck bargain" compared to MB SL, Maserati, Aston Martin and others in the $100k area. They will never really drive it in a way that will show how much better the 987 design really is. They can't see themselves in a car that gets compared to a $30k Honda S2000, and they fail to understand how the 987 differs from both S2000 and 997. Most 987 buyers are enthusiasts and don't much care for image or flash. The fact that there are more 997 buyers just shows that the world still cares more for flash than substance -- which is ultimately great for a 987 buyer, especially the Cayman S Convertible.

Z.
well I think like the 997 a very large number of Boxster owners are not really dyed in the wool sports car enthusiasts and even fewer are sports car drivers.
Both groups are comprised mostly of those who have the means or will tolerate
the big depreciation. I think only CaymanS and GT3 have a majority enthusiast profile.

The bigger engines coming into the Boxsters in 2000 created allot of buzz which attracted allot of non-enthusiasts who wouldn't have ordinarily considered a roadster. As the buzz quieted down those buyers have gone elsewhere, other brands and more to the 911 camp after their top down fling. In this sense I think the 987 has not really delivered in enticing non-roadster types to give the Boxster a first chance. The steep pricing(even with deep discounts) hasn't helped matters.

also, if numbers continue to decline I would not put it past Porsha to discontinue the Boxster after a 15 year run or so. Continued higher production numbers for the 911 could make it cheaper to build a Cab than a Boxster making it more tempting to offer only one drop top pcar.
The upmarket direction of the new 928, Panamera and ultra expensive higher end 911's might tempt Porsche to "max their profits" by forcing Porsche brand hungry convertible buyers into a 911. The Cayman suffering a similar fate as well.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-15-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote