View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 08:29 AM   #1
redpepperracing

The Winter of Carnage

I hadn't really thought to create a thread when I started this, but in hindsight there may be some interest in what I found with my engine over the winter. Going back to late summer, I was doing a DE and got a check engine light and rough running, I forget the exact code but it was cam timing related. I reset the code and made it home without incident, and was able to drive the car normally for a bit. We threw a Durametric on it and the cam deviation was quite high, approaching -7 on one bank, and I forget the other, it was bad but not as bad as the other bank. Obvious conclusion is chain guides. We checked the oil filter and there was a lot of brown plastic debris, which backed up the chain guide analysis. So, out came the engine, and the parts ordering began, since while I'm in there...

I got new guides, the two top chains, all new chain tensioners, thermostat, 996 oil cooler, front main seal, coolant overflow tank, all new coolant hoses, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. The PO had done water pump, front engine mount, spark plugs and tubes, IMS and RMS, so I didn't have to worry about any of that.

You may ask, what carnage? Well...

Here are my chain guides:

Just a bit of scoring in the oil pump:

If you look closely in the top right you can see where I unknowingly broke the fuel line going to the fuel rail:

I took off the oil pan and found a can of worms in the oil pickup:

And one exhaust stud broke when removing the manifolds, here are the various nuts and things we tried to use to extract it:

Side note: we did have some challenges with the welder, once we got it straightened out, literally, we got great penetration, it was just seized so badly that none of it worked, it just progressively broke closer and closer to the head, so we made a drill plate and guide, and here we are:

It is still messed up, I can't get a tap to bite, I may try picking out the left overs, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the next step is a time-sert.

There are lots of other things that I am working on, 987 airbox, 997 throttle body, adding a centre radiator, Koni shocks all around, Eibach sway bars front and rear, and some other various bits, but right now I'm stuck on the exahust manifold.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote