View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"I bet the average 997 buyer is a first time porsche owner who will never take part in any HP driving instruction during the length of ownership."

I was just about to make the same point. Most 997 buyers are considering the 997 to be a great "flash for the buck bargain" compared to MB SL, Maserati, Aston Martin and others in the $100k area. They will never really drive it in a way that will show how much better the 987 design really is. They can't see themselves in a car that gets compared to a $30k Honda S2000, and they fail to understand how the 987 differs from both S2000 and 997. Most 987 buyers are enthusiasts and don't much care for image or flash. The fact that there are more 997 buyers just shows that the world still cares more for flash than substance -- which is ultimately great for a 987 buyer, especially the Cayman S Convertible.

Z.
Hi,

I dunno, both you and PerfectLap are relying on a lot of assumptions as to what you suppose comprise the 911 demographic.

What we do know is that the 911 is purchased 80% by men (as opposed to 64% for the Boxster and 50% for the Cayenne).

80% of these are ordered with Manual Transmissions (as opposed to 50% for the Boxster).

55% of these are Cabriolets (direct competition for the Boxster?). Pull those out of the mix and they're selling at the same rate as Boxsters.

There is a high % of leases of the 911 as Company Cars, perhaps indicating that if these people were spending their own money, they'd have gone another way. The coincident rise in unit sales with the availability of extended 74 and 96 month financing is also interesting.

But, what happened to the Boxster? It's off clearly 1/3 from it's all-time high units sold, and has declined in all the years since?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote