View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
old911doc
Removing the electrical part of the ignition switch can be done several different ways. The way that involves the lowest number of steps is to work underneath the dash, squeezing oneself between the seat, the steering wheel, and the dashboard. This method is made somewhat easier by removing the driver’s seat (4 bolts, electrical connections, seat belt), but that approach adds steps and involves lifting the weight of the seat.
I have done this repair four times in my four Boxsters. At my age, 68, I am just too damn lazy to scrunch up underneath the dash.
The way that involves the least heavy lifting and uncomfortable postures is to ‘go in from above’, by removing the instrument binnacle, steering wheel, and left dash vent. This approach :
(1) Disconnect battery ground lead to kill the car’s electrical system, to avoid triggering airbag.
(2) Remove steering wheel airbag with T-27 bit.
(3) Remove steering wheel.
(4) Remove circular grille at left of binnacle to reveal T-20 screw; remove screw.
(5) Put hazard warning switch in active position. Using two small hooks, engage the two holes in the switch, hidden from direct view, and pull switch out, to reveal another T-20 screw; remove screw.
(6) Pry binnacle upward to free it from its blind fasteners, and disconnect the electrical connections from its back and the electrical connector for the hazard switch.
(7) Remove the light switch knob by pressing upward with 1/8” straight-blade screwdriver at the 6 o’clock position of the knob while pulling gently on knob. Then, using 24mm (or is it 22mm?) socket, remove retaining nut from light switch.
(8) In left door jamb end of dash, remove two T-20 screws from dash end. Applying pressure at top edge, disengage the blind fasteners and remove the plastic dash vent.
(9) Using T-20 driver, remove one sheet-metal screw retaining plastic air duct, and remove the duct.
With the binnacle and left air duct removed, the two small set screws which retain the electrical ignition switch can be backed out several turns, to allow the switch to be pulled free from the electrical contacts. DO NOT REMOVE THE SETSCREWS! It is unnecessary, and they are difficult to replace. Getting a small screwdriver to engage the slot in the set screw requires some hand gymnastics, and usually requires working through a mirror.
The purpose of the ‘dissection’ is to allow access with the left hand through the dash vent area and the right hand through the binnacle area.

Notice that almost all these steps are done while you are seated in the driver’s seat, except to remove the left dash end, and to disconnect the wiring on the back of the binnacle. No heavy lifting, and no awkward contortions. Many steps, but simple steps.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote