View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 09:30 AM   #11
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
It's possible I'll end up replacing the entire assembly -- the $15 switch and the mechanical steering lock, which costs considerably more (although eBay has a choice one for $39.99). I hope the electrical switch solves the problem, like it did for several other folks. Although it happened only a couple times out of maybe a thousand, the switch froze solid in the "off" position, and it took a lot of fiddling with it and swearing at it to unfreeze it. Only a couple times, but it's enough for me to order a $15 switch and install it, the contortions required notwithstanding, and hope to hell it takes care of the problem.
The mechanical steering lock is exactly that "Mechanical" consists mostly of a spring and plunger.
If you remove the assembly you will find that it malfunctions due to the old "lube" or grease solidifying around the moving parts..

So if you flush all the old grease out of it and start working it will to help free it up.
You have to get all the old grease out. Soak it in solvent blast it out with air pressure. soak it some more. Until it is clean of all old grease. Then use a light lube it will function like new.
I would be very surprised if you find that you need to replace the assembly.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote