View Single Post
Old 04-22-2023, 07:04 AM   #4
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Did you use PayPal? Explain the scam, help others out.
Oh no, we did not get this far.
I could smell it right away. I was looking for a cup tray for 2003, the slim one. They go about 400 new, 200 used.
I got an offer for 100 and asked to send money to some other email, a friends account. All red flags, right?

So yeah, I did - take screen shots of fake PP payment. We played for a while... and he gave up.
I did reverse search of the pictures only to find out they were copies from some Detroit, MI based used parts seller.

No money lost. Just time and 40 emails.
Then another account turned up with offer for another part I was looking for. Similar pattern,

In an essence.
Look at the post count of the person reaching out to you.
If it is just a couple, check them out. See what they said. Many times their messages are lousy - Oh, that's a great idea, or something like that.
If no intro, no pictures of their car, or some other info - do not even bother to share any info.

Never give them your address or email or phone.
That will be for later after validation of their part availability or location.

Also, interesting one - see what time they send messages. If it is say 3 am - c'mon, who in clear mind does that? Anything before 06:00 and after 23:00 is worrying to me. Add maybe 1 or two hours for the different time zone.

Finally - language. I am ESL, so some errors are expected. But... you know.

There could be some typos or so - I do not have my glasses on.
I hope it makes sense.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote