View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 10:43 PM   #13
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Well, it's really all a system: more air in, more air out; maybe a bit more power once you get the tune done! So: 987 airbox; 987 MAF; bigger tubes; bigger TB; 996 manifolds; low resistance exhaust system; and a tune after running a baseline pull. I might have missed some of this stuff in my videos, oh well...
Have fun, it'll put a smile on your face! -NewArt
Hey, I just watched the first 2 videos of your 987 airbox series and I found it very helpful and interesting. Sorry for the previous comment above; I was thinking of a different person's videos. I'll watch the rest when I can but for now I wonder if you know the part number of the airbox you used?
Also, how much was the ECU flash? And was it difficult to find a dealer to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Lari, you've got quite an attitude for someone who's asking for well established forum mebers to regurgitate information that could be found using the search button

Here's the deal - 986s werent made made to be tinkered with. Simple as that. If you spend time learning the system (both mechanical and ecu) then you'll realize that.

There have absolutely been guys who have done these types intake and exhaust mods. And they have been well documented. Two of us have done 82mm TB with short ram intakes and written about it. At least one has installed the 996 intake runners and documented it. FI systems have been done and documented. Engine swaps have been done and documented.

Here's the thing though - THEYRE ALL CUSTOM JOBS. The m96 not a k series, it was never meant to be, and if you want to make the progress then you've got to do your homework and be creative. If you want a k series to play with, I'm sure you know where to find one.

Btw, leave starter alone. He's that crabby uncle that has his moments - the party just wouldn't be the same without him (hey buddy!)
Well, I have searched and not found any kind of in-depth informative thread about air intake mods which is mostly what I was asking about. I also left the door open for any engine out mod that might be beneficial. Apparently there's not much to be gained, but you're the first person so far to even tell me that! I would even go so far as to ask for any mod that's worthwhile while the engine is out, not just for more power but for longevity, reliability, better cooling, etc. Because I'm just guessing here but I'd say there's about a 90% chance once I get this engine back together and spinning, I'll come across a bunch of things I should have done while the engine is out. Plenty of people have had their engines out, it's probably the most often removed engine in the entire Porsche kingdom, so I figured there would be plenty of info and responses about this subject.

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments; well, most of them. And even starter can post what he wants but I'll respond as it's about time someone did! That guy has been living a charmed life on here, ha ha. But I have to say, he has me going back and forth between anger and humor and for that, I compliment him! Well done, sir!

And, thanks, Ike for bringing it all together and thanks to Newart for working on 986's in Canada's winter while making videos of it all!
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote