View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 06:43 AM   #6
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
So true.

I learned this the hard way. I had had my Box a couple years when the alternator went bad on me. Other than oil changes, this was my first DIY on the car. Figured out how to get to the thing (having removed the passenger seat to improve access), got it out (with some major wrangling!) and took it to an automotive electric service place to have it rebuilt. Crusty old place, had been in business for many decades, had all kinds of alternators of varying ages and varying degree of disassembly sitting around on every horizontal surface—some I swear had simply become abandoned projects, now permanent ornaments where ever they happened to be.

Anyway, they rebuilt mine and did a bang up job for me. But I now had an airbag light & code that I couldn't remedy with my cheapo little Actron scanner. So I took it to the local Porsche dealership who did an "airbag check and servicing" or whatever they called it. So, after having spent $95 to have the alternator serviced, I had to fork over $100 to Porsche to basically turn off the idiot light for me.

So, for future reference, to avoid this all you have to do is not have the key in the ignition? I sorta assumed one would need to disconnect the battery..
Frodo,
It is best to disconnect the battery when your going to work on any part of the car that includes an electrical circuit. Eliminates the chance of creating a short to ground.
But for seat removal you can get by with just not having the key in the ignition.
No codes no lights
blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote