View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 03:37 AM   #8
stagewex

In my short 8 months of ownership I'll pass on my prior 6 months of viewing and test riding 986's.
First-off take you time and patience looking. If you are only interested in this particular car because it's next door then realize it a possible purchase based on convenience. The things you pointed out as to the present state of condition should or might be a reason to walk away. Pride in ownership and upkeep don't seem to be the current owners mantra. Meaning if there were or are other things wrong then you will inherit them. And when the bill comes you'll still be seeing your neighbor every day at some point. Why I seldom sell a vintage car or motorcycle to friends.
The "open window" and the car sitting dead translates to me "I give up", "I don't care".

Could it be a "diamond-in-the-rough", sure. But spend your $$$ now for a once-over by a mechanic or have it towed to a dealership for a PPI. That will be expensive but not as expensive as buying it and going down the $$ rabbit-hole.

In my personal search I had a few priorities with service history being one of them. I bought a Box with 131,000 miles but with every service from the first day of ownership. Woman owner who kept up the car by the book for 126,000 miles. Lot's of bits & pieces changed over the years. Sold to a local friend who only drove it 4000 miles in 4 yers but had the IMS bearing done (LN Engineering), another priority for me. I saw plenty of ignored and/or garage queens that went thru many hands with no history (and no IMS done). So no guarantees there high or low milage.

My PPI came up with one issue... the front tires while showing a lot of tread were of an old date and cracking. The rears were new. So changed the fronts and life goes on. Doing minor fixes and upgrades along the way. I'd suggest you putting the $$$ up-front and get a professional opinion before diving in. I'd say that about any old exotic car but especially a Porsche. Fantastic machines but they can be angry cost-wise when ignored.

If (and this is only an example) flat bedding to a dealer, getting a PPI, finding out what it will cost to put the car back into service and being able to justify that cost to the seller vs. her asking price... it may be a good deal. Worst scenario she says no and you can either leave it at the dealer for her to get the repairs done or have it toed back to her house. She club be relieved not to see it sitting in the driveway. And for say $1000.00 you may be saving yourself $10.000 in parts and repairs.
The dealerships will give you the most expensive estimate of course. so a reliable independent shop might be better. Good Luck.
stagewex is offline   Reply With Quote