View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #2
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigkeen View Post
I have lived next-door to the owner of a 2004 Boxster 50th Anniversary Spyder for five years. She bought it new. For the past 20 years, when not in use, it has been parked in the open air (not in a garage) in mild San Diego. Therefore, it has faced no freezing weather, salty roads, or sustained heavy rainfall. It has not been driven much, however, at least for the last five years and *very* little most of that time—*not at all* this winter (and much of the fall, I think). It will not start, its spoiler is frozen in the up-position, and the driver's door-window is stuck about 2 inches open. She is seriously considering selling it. I have dreamed of owning that car since I first set eyes on it.

Y'all know where I'm going here. I fear that it has suffered catastrophic engine damage (or will, if it is ever again started). Had our drought continued, I wouldn't be so concerned about the partially open window, but this has been an exceptionally wet winter. I don't know its mileage, we have had only very preliminary conversations. Should I run from this thing? I'm willing to delay my gratification until it is restored, if it can be restored. Would you gamble on it? Is there any price that would adequately offset the dangers of its being idle so long?
First what makes you think there is possible catastrophic engine Damage???
You need to do a detailed examination of the car.
Then make your decision based on that examination.
If you don't have the mechanical knowledge to do a proper examination of the car.
Find someone who does have the knowledge and can examine it for you.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote