View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Will it Explode?

Concern:
I put a known bad engine in a Boxster to see how well it would run. It runs great so far, but there's oil getting into the coolant. I want to drive the car in a Rallycross next week. I expect that a few two minute long runs at 5-6K rpm will probably kill off what's left of the block/cylinders/rods or whatever else is wearing out.

Other than destroying a failing engine what's the risk?

Too much info:
This is Woody's old car. The engine seized in 2021 during a race. I was going to scrap the engine, but found that it was no longer seized and has good compression. I decided to see what the engine has left before I put another engine in.

I don't want to waste a race day by having it fail on the first run, but I don't have time to put another engine in before the event. Running hard with no care for the longevity of the engine will be fun. Having an engine compartment fire will not be fun and may upset my fellow rallycrossers.

Bolt in cage with easy egress out the door. 5 point harness and removable steering. Fire extinguisher in reach. Nomex coveralls and jacket. No 'fire system'.

Experience and advice welcome.