View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 01:33 AM   #58
Robert986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I have never noticed any flex in the center of the vehicle, even under quite "spirited" driving conditions (i.e. finding the limits of what michelin ps2 sports are capable of lol). I did have quite a bit of softness with vertical accelerations (going through big dips or over humps) but that went away completely when I got rid of the stock struts and put in GodSpeed MAXX coilovers. The only other play that I have noticed was in the rear while pushing G limits of high speed turns and this resolved with a homemade version of the rear strut brace that I made out of a 1" aluminum square bar (I can take my favorite turn 3-5mph faster without the feeling of the rear giving out).

If you can really feel the tub flex then I think the only answer would be roll-cage anti intrusion bar setup (like those miata bars) but that would be less than ideal for a DD. If the bigger issue is a rattle/squeak from the hard top I would counter by saying that it is the top thats the problem - its not easy to hang on to that car while doing high G maneuvers and it wouldn't surprise me if that would create some hard-top chatter if the part is an aftermarket cosmetic piece and not a racing hardtop.

Just my 2c.

Any pictures of that diy rear strut bar?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote