Thread: Break-in period
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanMD
I know there have been a few threads about the issue of easy vs hard break-in but I wanted to bring this up again as my Porsche dealership told me to break my Boxster in the hard method and not worry about an easy break-in. I am now at 600 miles and just decided to start the hard break-in today. My salesguy pointed me to this website

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

which makes a convincing argument. He also says the oil should be changed rather quickly and with regular petroleum oils, not synthetic, during the break in to properly seat the rings, then change back to synthetics after 1500mi. Also, one thing I did notice today after revving it up to th 5k range was the engine gave off a smell that was very reminicent of the initial week I had the car, which I believe many referred to as the cosmolene burning off. Has anyone else had this same thing happen after their break-in period?

Sorry to drudge up another thread about the break in again.
I find it a bit scary that a Porsche sales guy is giving you advice that contradicts what Porsche actually says. Then again, I generally don't ask a sales guy for mechanical advice any more often than I ask the cable guy for stock tips.

As to the "break in secrets" - yes that has certainly made the rounds on this board. I didn't feel like searching for it to link to - but I'd advise looking it over. In short, however, those "secrets" were basically developed for high rev motorcycle engines.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote