View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 11:31 AM   #14
nuvolari

Garage
Thanks , guys. I really want to do the whole thing but money will probably be the deciding factor at this point. The bores look good but the engine has 160k on it. I already have most of the parts needed except for the IMSB as I have been doing research and having trouble deciding which to go with. I feel the IMS Solution is the best choice but the price is just ridiculous. All of the other choices are risky but right now I'm deciding between the OEM bearing that Grant used or the Precision Automotive bearing which although not a common choice, seems to have unique and reasonable qualities as well as a decent price.
At this point the heads are off the engine and the heads are disassembled. The cam tensioner pads are worn but are still within the useable realm. Of course, I have the new pads ready and waiting. I originally took the engine out and apart because I had a bad oil leak from Bank 2 at the lower cam chain area, near the lowest M6 Allen bolt that secures the head gasket in that area. It ended up being a speck of crud that was right next to the sealing ridge/lip of the head gasket causing the gasket to never seal. I don't know why the heads were off or how long it was like that as I had just bought the car two weeks earlier. Long story which is documented in one of my other threads.

Anyway, here are some pics of the bores. I've been told they look good, at least the ones shown. I'll do more checking and scoping once I'm back in Nashville where the car is located. And I'll check the other tensioner pads as best I can to see their condition.

And the offending gasket leak:
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote