View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
That doesn't look oem -- or a particularly clean reseal -- It's been about 10 years since I've been inside one of these engines -- I'm remembering the case sealant being orange-ish?

https://www.********************************************** **************/pn/00004301000?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=230649&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vWcBhBUEiwAXieItuHVDs7ZohF4_d4nBQBD SJte9gr6AIxzvJXnKpdKpaBAB5DeKE8xPRoCoK4QAvD_BwE

loctite 574

The reassembly of these cases is not for the faint of heart as you need a special tool to put the wrist pin locks in place and its a blind assembly.
My mechanic buddy made his own -- otherwise its a pricey tool from Porsche if memory serves right.

If you don't mind the reassembly, the bearings could be refreshed while you are in there. You could check ovality and either reassemble as is, or choose your re-ring / cylinder options.

The head gaskets are indeed a dry assembly. And as was mentioned the valve covers are a light sealant -- where less is more.

Mike
I have the proper tools; they came in a set with valve timing tools I bought. And I've seen many online info/videos about the whole wrist pin installation which looks like lots of fun!

I've asked on other forums if the sealant is factory and some have said yes, that's the sloppy factory sealant which I do find hard to believe but we all know how many dumb things Porsche did with our beloved M96 engines!

I'd still like to know if it's actually OEM or not though as no one has really said either way with a sense of sureness.

And, yes, head gaskets were dry in my engine. Well, except for the large gash of oil that was leaking out past one of them and the reason for this entire engine out fiasco. I'm not sure why people seem to think I said the head gaskets had sealant on them because they did not.

Oh, and I was told by Len Hoffman to coat the section of the head gasket that is held by the small Allen bolts (around the timing chain section) with spray-on copper sealant. I had forgotten this until I was watching yogi's garage and he sprays his gaskets in the video and then I remembered this. His heads were rebuilt by Hoffman so that makes sense. I guess it's been a problem for the gaskets to leak oil in these sections so the copper helps seal it in the initial heat cycles of a newly built engine.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/z_K3fG5BwS8

His later videos are very helpful. He even gets in trouble for spilling too many LN "secrets," ha ha. I have to say the video where he tells many details is the best one and that's when I began to really find the videos helpful. Then the next video begins with how LN didn't like that and now he would tone it down a bit. But he still provides much needed info especially for the amateur Porsche mechanic that is so tough to find anywhere else. Not sure why these cars are so secretive, mysterious and temperamental but if I ever learned why, I would tell people. Of course, Porsche should have told us from the start but that's another story....

Anyway, yogi's garage and man in a garage videos are very helpful.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote