View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #13
nuvolari

Garage
Congrats! Yes, although I've removed and replaced many engines before, my first time doing a Boxster was very trying and annoyingly difficult. But after looking back, I now realize compared to other cars, there really wasn't anything that difficult or hard to get at. In fact, it was the first car I've ever worked on where I could loosen every CV joint bolt without doing half and then turning the axle to get at the others. And nothing else was tough to reach. However, the first time is always much more difficult than subsequent tries.
Also, when I was having troubles removing my engine, I posted some questions and photos and was admittedly annoyed but someone made me feel pretty stupid for not catching my error of lowering the engine with the auxiliary air pump and engine compartment fan still connected and breaking the connectors. However, after reading many posts over the last year of other folks removing engines, I keep coming across many others who have done the same so I guess with it being mid engine, it is a common problem to miss disconnecting a hose or wire.
Also, the Boxster has so many unique or never seen before wire and hose connectors that I kept finding myself confused on how they even work. I remember having trouble with the fuel connectors at first until I figured it out. And then I was slightly shocked that the connection was so easy to take apart once I pressed it in the appropriate spots. It didn't seem secure enough for a fuel junction but every car I've worked on in the past has always had metal screw in hoses or simple hose clamps, depending on pressure.

You never said why you're removing the engine?
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote