View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 08:41 PM   #7
pilot4fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
I pulled mine separately as I didn't know I had to pull my engine until I was already into it. Just be aware that together, they are a heavy hump of metal, I think around 600 lbs!

The problems I had were not having the car up high enough. You need around 24" for clearance assuming you haven't removed the rear bumper cover. Then I'll second elgyqc's comment to be sure you've disconnected everything. I forgot to disconnect my aux air pump electrical connectors and broke the two connectors. Also, my fuel line got entangled and caused problems. It's very difficult to see if everything is disconnected and/or hung up so check, check, and check throughout the lowering or use elgyqc's method.
I'm sure with a lift, it'll be much, much easier. Of course, you'll have to remove the lower cross member to allow engine and tranny clearance. On my car, this allowed the chassis to flex and not allow the cross member to be put back in. I've heard from others that this is somewhat common and the chassis can be brought back in with a ratchet strap when the time comes. (My time hasn't come yet but hopefully soon....) I don't think this is a big deal but nice to be aware of it when the time comes and to have a ratchet strap on hand when needed.
Good luck on your project....
Thanks for a great info.
Today's the day when those will come out
The lift table I have is rated to 661 lbs (300kg), so it should be sufficient to drop the engine & tranny to.
The chassis flex with cross member removal is a very good pointer, thank you again