View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #22
elgyqc

Garage
Today I started work on the 3.2l replacement engine. First thing I did was to verify the cylinders with my borescope... and there is no sign of scoring, that's a relief.
So far I have the bank one camshafts off so the tensioner pads can be replaced. The cams were properly synchronised (evidently, or the engine would not have run) but the short chain that connects the them was not installed the way it is supposed to be, with the odd coloured links aligned with the dimples on the cams.
Secondly I found the source of the beige sealant that was in the oil pickup screen. It was used on the cam cover to head joint. There was not a lot of it but the excess that is squeezed out of the mating surfaces does not stay in place, it easily comes loose and ends up in the bottom of the engine. The black sealant on the oil pan on the other hand stays in place (to the point where it is difficult to remove) even though there is a lot more of it.
Newart's video on changing the tensioner pads (starring yours truly) is very useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfR60GAJd0
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote