View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
KevinH1990

I've never had a coherent strategy for bidding on eBay. I've only bought 7 items in the entire time I've been registered, and three of those were for my daughter. I've always done much better buying and selling things on Craigslist. The lack of fees makes the transactions much more efficient, and I know I behave irrationally on eBay.

For example, I recently bid on a used Porsche hard top storage cover. The covers cost over $100 new and the "Buy It Now" price was $25 with $9 shipping. I bid $10 and the bid was good for two days without any counter bidders. The seller removed the "Buy It Now" and the bids went over $25 fairly quickly. It eventually sold for $51.

Now the irrational behavior kicked in when I saw the bids going over $40. I eventually bid $50 for the same item that I was unwilling to "Buy Now" for $25. Can anyone explain this behavior - I can't and it's my behavior.

On the other hand, I picked up a matching hard top for my car in almost perfect condition for $610. I guess it's better to be lucky than good.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote