View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #6564
Qingdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Since my Tip tranny was out for a torque converter and pump replacement, I thought I'd make the best of the situation and replace the IMS, RMS and AOS (I couldn't get the expansion tank in time and I didn't want to hold up the transmission shop too long. They were already gracious enough to let me do the work in their space.)

The RMS and AOS went easily. However, I could not get the IMS bearing out since the center bolt was too big for the IMS Tool. So after some more research, I found that I have an M97 engine in my 2002. FYI: There was an electrical plug close to the bottom bolt of the AOS and I couldn't fit my 3/8 drive ratchet with the Inverted Torx socket. However, I did have a 5/16" 12-point box wrench that fit perfectly. This may help those doing the AOS with the tranny in.

I did reposition the 2 difficult hose clamps behind the expansion tank to face up so it should make replacement a little easier, if necessary.

Oh and BTW, of all the videos I saw on replacing the IMSB, none of them said that the drive plate bolts are TORQUE TO YEILD. Which means they are not reusable. Maybe because the videos I saw were all of manual transmissions, and the flywheel bolts are not TTY? IDK. I'll be going to a local Porsche dealer tomorrow to pick up 8 of them.
They let you do stuff to your car while they work on your trans... best shop ever. Hope you slipped the tech a twenty.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote