View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
98Boxster98

Ed,
Below is the post from www.ppbb.com for a possible source of the strataglass. Searching this forum and www.renntech.org, you can find posts where Boxsters owners found a upholsterer or a top installer willing and able to install the window. Off the top of my head, it seems that range for the installation is $300 to $600 dollars. Sadly, not cheap but cheaper than a new top and installation.

================================================== ======
Robert Grindle
Rear Window Plastic
11/03/06 08:06 PM

Now that I have new front glass thought I would post a suggestion regarding the rear plastic window. Six months ago I had a new window installed by an interior restoration upholster. I have a boat canvas business and use strataglass in all my boat windows. I supplied the installer a piece of that glass for my Boxster.
This is the regular 40 guage window but has a scratch resistant coating to both sides and also is suppose to block 99% of the uv rays. You can actualy poor lacquer thinner or acetone on the window and it will not penetrate to the plastic. When installing in boat canvas I do not have to protect the window from dragging on the wood table as it will not be scratched by light dirt, etc.
Try the above two things with any other plastic window, it will be destroyed. You can check it out at strataglass.com. As it is only sold wholesale if anyone is interested let me know and I would be willing to send a piece to use.
A 109" X 54" sheet cost me about $150 including shipping to me. Did not check the exact size needed for an oem top but would think no more than $30 + cost of shipping.
http://i12.tinypic.com/47j53x1.jpg
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote