Thread: Engine`s gone
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I didn`t touch them. The two rings on top were ~ 0.4 and 0.8, similar to that of the originals, when I placed old and new on top of each other in the bore there was no difference. The side rails for the oil rings had smaller gaps than the original, but those looked worn and I didn`t adjust those either. But don`t you think if there had been a problem with the gapping then the engine wouldn`t have lasted this long but would have fallen apart earlier?

Another thing: the exhaust header was full of coolant, yesterday it was still dripping at the gaskets, indicating a lot of coolant got into the cylinder. Maybe the cylinder head cracked, the piston sucked coolant in causing hydrolock and the pressure cracked the cylinder wall? Just wondering if that`s possible
0.4 - 0.8 what? MM, inches?

No, improperly gapped rings can fail at different times and in different ways, depending upon which way they were off. Engine failures are a cascading event, the only way to try and figure it out is to pull it apart and look at each failed part. And yes, and casting failure can lead to hydro locking and blown out cylinder walls