View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
casioqv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Unless you are really pushing your car though, a full refresh isn't warranted(especially if you're budget conscious). Just stick to fixing a specific problem.
I'll second this.

There seems to be a ton of bad advice online about the longevity of suspension parts. I used to believe this, and the old parts on my car caused a lot of stress/anxiety so I would just replace everything, but found that it sometimes had no noticeable improvement in handling, and the old parts looked great on removal. It makes more sense to me to assess the condition of each part, and replace what has failed. I do not agree that suspension parts should be replaced on mileage without considering condition or use.

Factory shocks, bushings, etc. can often last 200-300k miles, and sometimes as little as 20k miles. I've seen a 26 year old Volvo with 200k miles that still had perfectly good factory shocks, and I've seen a 1 year old VW Jetta with blown factory shocks. Likely these were even basically the same actual shock (Boge/Sachs)!

It depends a lot on the condition of the roads the car was driven on, the design of the suspension, and the quality of the OEM parts used. It's also very likely that a cheaper non-OEM replacement part might have less longevity than old high mileage factory parts.

Last edited by casioqv; 07-14-2022 at 12:46 PM.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote