View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #8
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Well... A Subaru Outback is always nice.

Honestly, I have never seen any official crash test ratings anywhere although I know it had to be performed to meet both US and EU safety standards for highway vehicles. It must meet these safety standards to be sold in the US.

Unofficially I know they have both frontal and side airbags, heavy bars in the door to protect against side impact, crumple zones front and rear to absorb energy and reduce passenger G forces, hardened steel passenger compartment and roll bar assy to protect passengers.

In 17 years of Porsche motorsport I have witnessed quite a few Boxster crashes including side impact, head on collision with a barrier wall, and a multiple rollover in excess of 100 mph. Most of these cars had additional racing seats and harnesses but in every case of a big hit, the driver was shaken up but got out and walked away. Lots of Japanese race car drivers have not been so lucky. This is purely observational evidence, not government sled testing but proved the point that in the real world, occupants are highly protected in these cars even in a very high G impact.