View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 05:27 AM   #3
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
New car prices won't come down until the market is saturated with chips again. This won't happen until asia is back to full capacity, which ain't happening tomorrow.
Totally agree, the new car shortage is fueling the problem (along with inflation) and will influence the entire mkt until factories have enough chips for full capacity. But I find it interesting now that dealer lots are filling up. I haven't taken the time to see if they're charging outlandish prices for the cars on their lot, but I assume they are. It also appears that people can order a new car and not have to wait a lifetime for it to arrive. That will ease the impact. People were used to going to the dealer and buying what they were looking for that was on someone's lot (instant gratification). For a while there weren't any new cars available, so people seem to be willing to adjust to waiting if they can get what they want.

Dealers are still doing their "your trade-in isn't worth anything" (old habits die hard). A club member was looking for a Boxster and she purused the Porsche dealer car finder website. She found one coming in to KC and snapped it up. She kept her 08 Box cuz they wouldn't give her a fair price for it. Now, the dealer in KC is notorious for being a bit less than even handed, so maybe it's just them. Every sports car our dealer gets is pre-sold before it arrives. They get an odd Cayenne or Panno that arrives w/o an owner, but they last about 2-4 days before it's sold. Our dealer had 7 cars on the ship that sank and evidently the next ship had issues with high seas breaking several cars loose and playing bumper cars. 3 belonged to our dealer.

And I meant to add a ? to my title. Got in a hurry to write the body and missed it during QC. The crash may still be 6-9 mo out because of chips. If the stock mkt crashes, will the fat cats move to 'hard assets' like cars like they did in '88? That might push the expansion of the sports car / collector bubble for a bit longer. If the fat cats move into high end cars, that will mean the fall will be bigger when it happens. I'll be watching for bargain TTs and GT3s, but I've always wanted a 987 Spyder. It may take 5 yrs for the prices to bounce back, but that would be a fun 5 yrs of driving and enjoying a dream car at a bargain price.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 05-02-2022 at 05:38 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote