View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
I would think changing it in the fall before laying it up makes more sense. New,clean oil without contaminents would seem to make more sense for long term storage.

I'm sure there are others on the board with specific knowledge, but IIRC, the main culpert is acid in the higher mileage oil with can work on bearings, etc..

I'll yield to my learned colleges...
Hi,

You're correct, changing before storage is the recommended procedure. In-service Oil can acumulate acidic compounds, and Fuel, which will strip the Oil from the Internals. But, perhaps the biggest reason to change the Oil is to flush the moisture (a natural combustion by-product) which has accumulated.

If this moisture is allowed to remain in the engine through the storage period, as the temperature swings, the moisture will evaporate and will later condense as water on the cool engine internals causing corrosion and pitting.

This is considered the preferred method by every Museum, longterm storage facility and article on longterm storage, no real debate on it. Even the local Porsche Dealership offers a Winter Storage Service and this includes a fresh Oil Change as well. There is no advantage whatever in storing a car with used Oil in it. I assume they are going by mileage, but the Oil should be changed at the Mileage Interval (preferrably sooner than Porsche's recommended Interval - 7500 mi. is best), or annually. Sorry, but the other dealer is just plain wrong...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-06-2006 at 06:56 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote