View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #37
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Bleeding brakes is the other thing to learn if you haven't done it. You will want to change out you brake fluid to something with a higher boiling point. ATE, Motul and SRF (what I run) all work well. Bleeding is something you will do at a minimum annually.
Agree and likewise somewhat disagree ...

Bleeding/flushing is SUPER easy and one SHOULD learn how to DIY. Three main reasons why:
  1. it's probably the cheapest DE 'insurance' you can buy (and a v good habit to get into)
  2. you might need to do so AT a track some day (maybe Sat night before Sun) - wanna be scrounging pits Sat after track goes cold when everyone else is having a brewski asking for anyone who has a power bleeder and or knows what they are doing. Everyone is always willing to help which is great but......
  3. most dealers/shops charge ~2+ hrs labor (think $250-$450+) when honestly it costs ~ $30-75/liter (only one needed) for DOT 4 fluid and $75 one time for a power bleeder.

Bleeding needs done before EVERY track event (it's on most Event Inspection Forms - PCA especially). Period, end of story UNLESS using SRF or RBF. Over the years I cannot tell you how many incidents I have seen occur when afterwards a driver said "I thought I could get one more day before I had to bleed again".

Good luck