View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony986
these are higher ranges than i was expecting. have any of you had trouble with gearbox wear?

i just bought a used 986 and when i was having problems with 2nd i tried to get porsche to repair the box but when the dealer pulled the rpm report porsche said that the car showed too much activity in the upper range and would not repair the box. i am in the midst of fighting with the dealer to take it back (nj law says they have to take it back within 90 days but of course they are trying to find any reason not to).

so i am now curious as to how "pampered" the gearbox/engine rpm's have to be in order for porsche to be pleased with how you are treating the car.
i was shifting in the 2,500 range and i thought i was taking it easy on her but sounds like higher ranges are not disastrous.
These are higher revving engines=its ok to keep it in higher RPMs,3k-4k for daily driving. If you look at the manual it should say the recommended shifting points.

If the dealer is saying that the car has too much activity in the higher RPM range tell them you want to know how many times its hit redline.(they can only see how many times the car has hit redline,not where its driven RPM wise every second it's ever been turned over)

Good Luck!