View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #6472
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
After 22 years my 986 finally needed a new ignition switch. I wasn't sure at first because it didn't fail in the usual way with odd electrical problems, I stopped and went to remove to the key and it wouldn't turn all the way or let me take the key out, when I finally got the key out with a lot of jiggling, it still thought the key was in the first position and started beeping as if the key had been left in, then I couldn't reinsert the key.

I ordered a new ignition switch (I used the Audi part, instead of an aftermarket brand like Uro), which didn't get here until a few days ago. It should have been a straightforward fix, but a 10 minute repair turned into a 3 hour repair because the two set screws where overtightened and the only thing I could get up in there was a screwdriver bit. I tried a half dozen tiny screwdrivers, socket wrenches, pliers, etc.

I finally took the bit that fit and hammered it into a small block of wood to give it a handle I could grip, and was able to get both set screws loose. Just needed the right tool for the job, which in this case meant making the tool myself.