View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #49
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
A very deep scratch on the hood and spot on the rear deck as well. I'll have to live with it for now.
DISCLAIMER: try this at your own risk. Your results may vary.

I've never had any luck with the Dr Colorchip dab and swipe method. But here's what I've found works well for me, esp with deep scratches.

I'll carefully paint in the scratch with DC paint. It will leave a ridge above the rest of the paint. Use as small of a brush as possible and just fill the scratch, no need to slop over onto good paint. Let it dry thoroughly. Next, take some 1500 sand paper and water and wet sand the scratch, being careful to sand as little of the good paint as possible (ie, a 1/4" on either side of the scratch). Go slow, go easy - you don't want deep sand scratches. Use plenty of water. You may need to repeat painting some areas if the paint hasn't fully filled the scratch.

Once you have the surface smooth and the scratch is filled and gone, use rubbing compound on the sanded area, going out an addl 1/4" on each side of the scratch (so now 1/2" ea side of the scratch for a total of 1" across). Focus the effort on the scratch area with some blend out from the sanded area.

Step up to a swirl compound (a mild rubbing compound) and expand another 1/2" on each side of the area. After this step, the area should have a decent shine and the scratch should be gone.

Finish with a polish and then wax, expanding the blend area out even further. These steps work best with a polisher but can be done by hand, they just take a bit more elbow grease.

Take your time, be easy, work in as small an area on ea side of the scratch as you can. It's always easier to go back and repeat than to go too far - no going back then.

This method also works on rock chips, just in smaller doses.

I've had great results with this method on scratches and chips.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote